We will set the price and lead time standards for machined and fabricated parts and assemblies for the aerospace industry. We will drive costs down and mutual profits up through cellular manufacturing and continuous improvement activities.
Cox Machine was founded in 1954 by Ernest “Bud” Cox. From his experience as a machinist at Cessna Aircraft Company and Kansas Tool, Bud decided that he had the necessary skills to open his own shop.
Over The Years
The Early Years
He constructed a 16 x 20 foot building on his property from scrap wood and began Cox Machine with four tools: a mill, a lathe, a shaper, and a drill press. The drill press was a Christmas present from his wife, Ruth Ann.
Initially, finding customers was a difficult task. Bud was still working another job full-time, and he spent nights and weekends trying to solicit work. After six months, he got Cox Machine’s first job. When he received his first check, he used it to buy his wife a gold watch.
Ready to Expand
As Bud’s reputation spread, he gained some new customers. By 1956, the business had outgrown the small building, and Bud moved Cox Machine to its own site, northwest of Wichita.
Cox Machine’s original building on this site was purchased from a man who had won the building in a poker game. The building had no plumbing, and so an outhouse was erected on the property, which soon become home to a very large snake.
By 2000, Cox Machine had outgrown its home of 45 years, and construction began on a new site, approximately 1/4 mile east of the original site. Construction was completed in 2001, and the new site now houses Cox Machine’s primary Machining Operations, as well as the Administrative Offices, Quality department, Planning and Production Control Department, and Shipping/Receiving.
In 2010, Cox Machine added 30,000 square feet of manufacturing space to the Wichita location. The expansion allows us to continue the creation of manufacturing cells to increase our capacity.
Our Leadership Team
Chief Strategy Officer
Chief Financial Officer